Tuesday, September 28, 2010

What a week

We are going through an IRS audit at work, and between getting ready for that and running the kiddos around for extracurriculars and social events, I was dragging my tired butt to bed way early (for me) this past week, forcing me to ignore my brand new blog for far too long! Blogging is my new therapy and I've been way stressed not being able to dump all my random and long-winded thoughts out of my brain for the last five days!

I actually managed to write something down (old school, man, paper and pen!) while I waited for E's soccer game to start on Saturday and during half-time, so to save my audit-addled brain from having to think too hard at the moment, I'm going to share that for now!


Saturday morning was weigh-in. I definitely felt more confident than last weekend, but was not prepared for the result...195.4 lbs! That's a loss of 3.8 lbs - where did that come from? I stayed on program all week, but between my work schedule and running three kids all over God's creation, I haven't done too much more than my running. However, I am not complaining - I'll take it! Only .4 more pounds and I can go collect my "55 Pounds Gone" badge over at Scale Junkie. Whoo hoo! So far, I have been really happy with my progress, but I'm starting to worry that it's going to start getting more difficult soon. I'm trying not to think like that, I'll cross that bridge if/when I get to it and just keep doing what I'm doing as long as it's working.

A Humbling Run

Before I passed out on the couch on Wednesday night, I was planning to post about my great run (it really sucks not having my laptop, thank you very much, spastic 80 pound puppy). This is the trail where I have been running:

Notice how nice and shady and flat it is? It is one of the many Rails to Trails in the country - if you have one in your area, you should check it out. They are converted train tracks, which both takes something no longer in use and recycles it and makes for a great place to run/walk/bike because railroad grades are generally very low, so the trails are quite flat.

Anyway, on Wednesday, after picking up J (late) and dropping off E (late), I did not have enough time to drive to the trail and get my run done before it got dark and time to get back for E. So, I decided to run in my neighborhood, which feels more like this:

Ok, it's not really that bad, but it is very hilly, and the first (and only) time I ran in the 'hood during week 2, I think I actually died at least twice. But it was either brave the hills or no run at all, so off I went, and this time I OWNED those hills! I had a great run - felt strong the whole time, good pace, no pain, breathing good. It was the first time I really felt like a runner and not like a Fat Mama people stare at and think, "Boy, she's got a long way to go!" In truth, I started feeling pretty cocky.

Fast forward to Friday night. Once again, I intended to run at the trail, but once again, carpool duty put me behind schedule (do you detect a theme yet?). As it so happened, I ended up right across the street from the park where my 5k is going to be (t-minus 54 days!), so I decided to go run the race route. Well...that cured my cocky. I got my butt kicked! I was able to finish the run, but I was hurting at the end. I think the combo of the hills and running on asphalt when I am used to my nice soft crushed gravel trail aggravated my shins. On the bright side, once I iced them when I got home I started feeling better immediately. I definitely have to start running there at least once a week to get my body used to it, but I don't have to look forward to it!

Sunday morning I did go to the trail, because I love being there in the morning. My new thing is to run as long as Nan tells me to without turning around, and then walk back - doubles my exercise and my "me time." Sunday I was to run 25 minutes, so I started the run at the trail head where the "0-mile" marker is. When my 25 minutes were up...

I could SEE the 2-mile marker - you can't really see it in the picture because I suck at iPhone pics, but it's that little shadow in front of the yellow arrow! I was that close. Next time, people, that post is my bitch! I had a great walk back and STILL made it home before any of the kiddos woke up. I do love Sunday mornings!

Well, lunchtime is over - back to audit hell. Later I will post my goals (I promise!).

No comments:

Post a Comment