Wednesday, November 24, 2010

My first race!

Before the race
I did it! I ran my first 5k on Saturday, and no surprise, I totally loved it. It was the most fun I've had in a long time, and I had to force myself to quit thinking how much I wished I'd done it sooner. The point is, I'm doing it NOW. I'll start from the beginning...

Friday night I had friends over for lasagna dinner, and enjoyed good company, good food, and good encouragement. I also made roasted squash and brussels sprouts, in the hopes that I would get my one friend who is working on eating healthier to try a sprout, but all she did was lick one and throw it away. I already got her to eat spaghetti squash, so I will keep working on her! I was not feeling too nervous and managed to get to bed at a pretty decent hour.

Set my alarm clock for my regular time, 5am, knowing I would hit the snooze button a few times, which I did, and ended up getting up at 6:00. I enjoyed some quiet time before the kids got up (who am I kidding...before I had to pry them out of bed), took a shower, ate some yummy Bob's Red Mill 5-grain mix with bananas and walnuts, got dressed, and woke the girls up. We managed to get out the door on time (rarely happens!), and as soon as we were headed toward the park, the nerves kicked in!

At the park, we met two of my friends, who had made a poster for me and brought one for my kids to make! Too cool!!! My mom met us there, as well - my Dad had a stomach bug, but he was with me in spirit. I had the best cheering section ever. There was about an hour until the race, so I checked in, used the bathroom, kept drinking my water, got a massage, used the bathroom, warmed up, got stretched, used the bathroom...I was rather obsessive about that! There were all kinds of people there, and I did not feel intimidated or overwhelmed at all. I saw one of E's classmates (2nd grade) at the starting line with his Mom - there were LOTS of kids there, in fact.

At the start, my main goal was not to start too fast and my main concern was getting around slower people and not being a hangup for anyone else. No problemo. I hit the first mile right on pace (my slow pace, that is - 12 minute miles). Got through the "hilly" part (which is so much less intimidating now than the first time I ran it weeks ago!). Made it to mile two. Feeling steady and strong. The last bit was up a hill, a loop around a parking lot, and then to the finish line. As I got to the top of the hill, there were my mom, C & E, waving a poster and cheering!!! Just the encouragement I needed - I motored on around the parking lot and stepped it up to cross the finish line.

Official time...37:03

Originally my goal was to finish in under 35 minutes. However, the past few weeks I have been having a lot of problems with my right hip. About a month ago I had mentioned it to the orthopedist when I went in to have my shin pain evaluated, but he suggested stretching and monitoring it. Last weekend I went for a 45 minute run (doing the Bridge to 10k program), and the last 5-7 minutes were awful, my hip hurt so bad. That was Sunday, and I did not run again until the 5k. I experienced mild discomfort until that last bit, thank goodness, but once I got home and stopped moving, I could barely move had I wanted to. Sunday I felt good enough to work out at the gym - 30 minutes on the elliptical, 30 on the stairmaster and 30 cycling, but I think I need to stay away from high impact until I get back to the doctor. I am really bummed about this!!!

Probably one of the most exciting things about the 5k was the support I got from my friends and family. Everyone who came to watch me said they wanted to do one with me, so it makes me feel amazing that I inspired them! I see a training program for kids in my future...

The whole experience was unbelievable, and I can't wait to do it fact, in another post I will let you in on my plans for that!

After the race with C, E, & the turkey, wearing my hard-earned shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment