Wednesday, December 28, 2011

I Don't Wanna Run!

I did not feel like running this morning. In fact, I almost didn't. I was up way too late last night playing with my trial version of Photoshop CS5 and then woke up after not enough sleep. I could feel a cold coming on. I had a list as long as my arm of other things to do. 

"Just do it later" said the voice in my head, so I went back to bed and set my clock to wake me in an hour an a half so I could get ready to take the kids to the roller skating rink (a promise I made them last week - frankly, having my head squeezed in a vice was sounding better than 4 hours of loud music, disco ball bedlam).

After flipping through a magazine for 10 minutes, I realized that I really
HAD to get my butt out of bed and go running. I was NOT going to go later. I got no exercise on Sunday - Christmas. Didn't do anything on Monday - cleaning. Ditto yesterday - I went to work and it was cold and raining and I talked myself out of running and into eating a bag of Twizzlers and two gingerbread men (there may or may not have been some additional random limbs consumed).

HAD to go.

I knew if I got up and got dressed, there was a fair chance that the momentum would carry me out the door, so I got dressed and left the house.

I drove to the ATT feeling awfully snuffly, but since I am a mouth-breather when running, I figured I would be fine. Or at least, ok.

I think I could have crawled the first half mile faster than I ran it, but I kept going.

After the first mile, I walked 2 minutes. The second mile was misery - I don't know what it is about this low grade span of the trail that kicks my ass every time I run it, but I kept going.

Finally, I turned around and headed back, again walking the first 2 minutes of the third mile. I was hoping I would start feeling better after the turn-around, but not so much. I kept fighting the voice in my head that was telling me, "just make it to the half mile marker, and then walk." 

I shut that bitch up and kept running.

I walked the first 2 minutes of the fourth mile, and then started running. I think a tortoise passed me at some point. At the half mile marker, I tried to increase my speed just a bit. Then just a bit more. I felt like my legs could do it, but I was sucking air, so I just allowed myself to pant  (I am always very conscious of my breathing when I am running - I feel like people can hear me coming a mile away) and kept going.

Then, I was done.

Excuses - you can kiss my ass!

My splits:

Mile 1: 11:42

Mile 2: 12:46
Mile 3: 12:57
Mile 4: 12:42

Total: 50:07.1

Now I am laying in bed nursing a serious cold and trying to ignore the contents of my closet piled all around my room because late last night Project Closet Organization morphed into Project Scratch My Head and Wonder Where All This Shit Came From and Where the Hell is it Going to Go Now, but I got my run in, so everything is A-OK! 

Run done + Roku + Nyquil = Life is Good

No comments:

Post a Comment